Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Where did the time go.........................

A look outside this morning found a good solid frost awaiting all the early risers in my neighborhood.  Didn't bother taking any pictures of my neighbors scraping windshields.  Instead, I settled into the first pot of hot coffee.  My soul reminded me that on mornings like this, it prefers coffee to scraping windows.  I pondered on where did my time go this Summer and Fall. 

The last time I was on the water and enjoy some fishing was early in July.  Reading my previous post will enlighten those that don't know what has happened since then.  Making "Family First" makes for a good feeling in Gramps soul.....................  No fishing, but, did have some time to tie a little at my vise.  Nothing spectacular or new for that matter, but, satisfying for me.  In this manner, I was sort of able to keep fishing in the back of my mind.  However, time has come for me to get a balance on life again!  Even if it is fairly late in the fishing year, it is time for me to focus on what fishing means to me.  I came across a couple of pieces of wisdom that kind of sparked the fire again.  I wanted to share them with my readers and see if they spark your interest, too.

My daughter sent this piece of wisdom to me through Facebook.  It sums up why I have this life long interest in fishing and why, even if I have to take some time off once in awhile, fishing is at the core of my soul.

Izacc Walton certainly could not have expressed better what is at the core of my fishing soul.  I am so happy I have been able to be one of the wise men and not one of the fools.

With that, I feel my casting arm beginning to limber up and a Wooly Bugger about to jump from my box ready to give the local trout a go.  Stocked Rainbow Trout do serve a purpose!

 

10 comments:

  1. Mel, I think you spoke eloquently about everybody that fishes. I guess we all get something a little differently sometimes but the bottom line is, it soothes our souls. Our personal lives, our obligations keep us balanced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Howard. I am sure looking forward to tipping the scale balance towards wetting a fly a time or two more this year.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark, for all the support and fishing tidbits we have shared over the past ten years or so. Would love to meet and fish with you one day before this Blogger thing drys up!

      Delete
  3. I had a busy month as I was in a competition and on a team. It turned out to be pretty tough and tiring and I was counting the days that I could just relax and enjoy fly fishing rather than trying to catch "the big one"... What is it that brings us back to the water time and time again? It is the peace and quiet and the meditation time for me. I'm glad October is over. Rest time now... And if I do get out on a warmer day this month, you can be sure that it will be to refresh my soul and to put a smile on my face. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RD, nice to see you have some time to drop by my blog. As much as you fish, I don't know how you have time to do much else other than work and load your gear for another trip. Tying flies, resting, and taking care of yourself seems to be an afterthought. Happy to hear that you can relax some now. Take good care of your soul one of these warm November days.

      Delete
    2. Mel ~ You sound just like my... Yeah, I have heard this a lot. I promised the boss that I'm going to rest more in the winter. An occasional Saturday for fishing and more time on the vise. My soul wants to stay warm. =)

      Delete
    3. Emily, I plan on doing more tying this winter and staying warm is a good part of it. Similar to your health conditions, I have some fingers that have been diagnosed as being a victim of severe Arthritis. Doctor says I need to use my fingers regularly and more often. Sounds like a prescription for more tying to me!

      Delete
  4. Mel
    I find as I get older time seems to past faster in months, not years anymore. Fishing for me is my salvation; when I'm on the water I forget about everything else but landing that elusive fish. It is where I am closet to my maker!! Thanks for sharing
    P.S. I have added your new blog to my list of blogs, thanks for getting back with all of us, I am missed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, thanks for bearing your soul about fishing here on my blog. I have to agree with you. Peace is where you find it and can capture those precious moments. Thank you, my long time blogging friend, for adding me to your Blog Roll again. As always, I look forward to reading and learning more from you.

      Delete